Saturday, January 3, 2015

"Darker Still (Magic Most Foul, #1)" by Leanna Renee Hieber


Darker Still (Magic Most Foul, #1)
"Darker Still (Magic Most Foul, #2)" by Leanna Renee Hieber


Published: November 1, 2011
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Pages: 320
Format: ebook
Source: Download Destination
Read January 27 to 28, 2014


I was obsessed.
It was as if he called to me, demanding I reach out and touch the brushstrokes of color swirled onto the canvas. It was the most exquisite portrait I'd ever seen—everything about Lord Denbury was unbelievable...utterly breathtaking and eerily lifelike.
There was a reason for that. Because despite what everyone said, Denbury never had committed suicide. He was alive. Trapped within his golden frame.
I've crossed over into his world within the painting, and I've seen what dreams haunt him. They haunt me too. He and I are inextricably linked—bound together to watch the darkness seeping through the gas-lit cobblestone streets of Manhattan. And unless I can free him soon, things will only get Darker Still.




I stumbled upon this book while I was looking through the ebooks that I could get from an ebook library that my local library offered. Had I not had that resource, I would have never found this book. And that's really sad. Because this book had such a unique premise, yet it only has a few thousand ratings on GoodReads.
Natalie Stewart has been a mute since her mother's death. This then separates her from everyone else, making her feel lonely. Yet when she sees the portrait of a supposedly dead Lord Denbury, she doesn't feel so alone. She's curious, just like everyone else, but when she touches the portrait, she falls into it. She meets the young lord, and helps him figure out what has happened to him.


Natalie
I felt really bad for her. I know that her muteness was of her own doing, but everyone kinda shut her out. She desperately wanted to be loved and be around people, but it was pretty much impossible. It was great when she met Jonathon, because even if he was in a painting, at least it was someone.

Jonathon
His story was pretty fascinating. He was trapped in a painting, everyone thinks he committed suicide, and he really wants to get out. I do have a feeling that he shouldn't totally be trusted though...

Overall, I think that this book was so unique. It had a very different premise, and it didn't let me down! I was so happy that it was a great book. I can't wait to see Natalie grow and to learn more about Jonathon. I can't wait to read the next book and see what else we learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment