Monday, October 5, 2015

Review ~ "Linger" by Maggie Stiefvater

Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)Title: "Linger"
Series: The Wolves of Mercy Fall, #2
Author: Maggie Stiefvater 

Website ~ Blog ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ Tumblr ~ Instagram
 
Published: July 13, 2010
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Werewolves
Pages: 360
Format: Hardcover
Source: Library
 

Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble

the longing.

Once Grace and Sam have found each other, they know they must fight to stay together. For Sam, this means a reckoning with his werewolf past. For Grace, it means facing a future that is less and less certain.

the loss.

Into their world comes a new wolf named Cole, whose past is full of hurt and danger. He is wrestling with his own demons, embracing the life of a wolf while denying the ties of being a human.

the linger.

For Grace, Sam, and Cole, life a constant struggle between two forces--wolf and human--with love baring its two sides as well. It is harrowing and euphoric, freeing and entrapping, enticing and alarming. As their world falls apart, love is what lingers. But will it be enough?

Sam has been cured, but that doesn't mean that things are going to be easier. Grace isn't feeling well and keeps getting sick and sicker. Isabel is still dealing with the death of her brother, whom she couldn't save from the wolf gene. And then there's a new wolf, Cole, who has many secrets of his own, but could still help everyone.

Even though I didn't like Shiver, I decided to read the sequel and see if I liked it any better. In short, I didn't really like it any better. Just like with the first book, this one was kind of meh to me. It's good writing, but I just didn't like and couldn't connect the characters and I couldn't get into the story. It was boring. Sure, there were interesting things that happened, but it didn't hook me or keep me reading. It was just meh.

It's pretty obvious from the very beginning why Grace is sick. Or at least to me it was. So some of the events that occur were pretty predictable to me. However, the addition of Cole, a new wolf, made things a little less predictable. He's kind of a loose cannon and you never really know what to expect when it comes to him. He's full of surprises. He and Isabel were two of the main reasons why I kept reading. I didn't always know what to expect with Cole, so I wanted to see what he would do next. I liked Isabel in the first book because she seemed to be the only character with substance. While I found Grace and Sam to be boring and flat (with their self-pity, mostly Sam though), Isabel was selfish. And even though I don't like selfish characters, she the only who has a personality, who says what she's thinking and doesn't care about what others think.

I'm not sure if I've said this before, but I feel like I'm out of the loop when it comes to liking Maggie Stiefvater. Everyone seems to adore her and gush about her books, but I just feel... meh. I feel really weird not liking an author that everyone else seems to love. What's wrong with me?? I think the writing's good, but I just don't like it. Does that make any sense? It just seems hard to explain without rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment